[Advaita-l] How to become a Hindu?

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 22:57:07 CDT 2010

>Any one who wanted to become a Hindu should read the conversation on
>conversion, with the Brahmanidhi Chandrasekhara Bharathi Swamikal of
>Sringeri Saradapeetom which is available in the title "Dialogues with the
>Guru".

In an earlier discussion on this list regarding this one, a close look showed
that the *translation* of whatever AchArya said was either wrong and
misunderstood and vague and out of place. So it is not of much use.

>2. What is a simple ceremony that we can suggest - that he should do,
>in order for him to feel that he has converted to (or even converted
>back to) Hinduism.

IMHO the moment a non-Hindu approaches a teacher for spiritual guidance, the
acceptance by the teacher itself can be looked upon as a formal ceremony.

Based on the teacher that he approached the initiation ceremony might vary.

As an example, in the case of a smArta teacher, if not immediately, in time he
will be given initiation to follow smArta/Agama rituals with appropriate
modifications.

Likewise a shrIvidyA teacher, shaiva, vaiShNava, kaumAra (very very few survive)
teachers will pick appropriate rituals from their traditions either immediately
or in time based on the student's maturity

One can put together some ritual by picking up various elements here and there
just for mental satisfaction, but that will be just artificial.

My 2 cents.

SRA.