[Advaita-l] How to become a Hindu?

Varadaraja Sharma rishyasrunga at rediffmail.com
Tue Aug 24 11:12:18 CDT 2010

Radhe Krishna

Although, it is an important issue, I think this beyond the scope of this list.  In India, legally, Budhists, Jains and Sikhs come under the ambit of Hindus. Although, ultras amongh sikhs went to the extent of saying,"Maas ghai ka kayenge par Hindu nahi kehalayenge" meaning "we would rather eat beaf but would not call ourselves Hindus", the ground reality is, under Income tax Act, apart from the status of "Individual", Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) Status is enjoyed by Budhists, Sikhs and Jains apart from sanatanis.  I understand the primary objective of this list is to discuss on Advaita Vedanta. For discussing on a term, "Hindu" one has to travel far since the term has much political rather than religious connotation.

Radhe Krishna