[Advaita-l] Brahmasutra bhashya reference question

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 11:56:09 CDT 2010

Dear list members,

I have a favor to request of those who have an edition of the brahmasUtra bhAshya
handy. Under the second sUtra (janmAdy asya yataH), the bhAshya cites chAndogya
upanishad 6.14.2 - "tad yatheha karmacito lokaH kshIyata evam evAmutra puNyacito
lokaH kshIyate". Both editions of the brahmasUtra bhAshya that I have (Samata Books
and Motilal Banarsidass) have the citation reading karmacito and puNyacito here.

However, when I go to the chAndogya upanishad and its bhAshya, I see the readings
karmajito and puNyajito, again in both editions. Patrick Olivelle's translation of the
major upanishat texts has the spelling with -j- and he has a footnote that one earlier
scholar has mentioned the -c- spelling, presumably in manuscripts.

My question is - does any edition of the brahmasUtra bhAshya has the spelling with
-j- as in karmajito and puNyajito, instead of the -c- spelling found in the editions that
I have?

Regards,
Vidyasankar