[Advaita-l] Advaitic Foods

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 12:37:25 CST 2010

The fish-eaters of the Eastern part of India are with you in what you wrote. However the most important aspect is the hygiene in preparing food. Apastambha allows a shudra to prepare food for the brahmin if the cooking is supervised (by a brahmin). This is probably to ensure that strict hygiene is maintained.

There is a custom in the Eastern part of the country  that the cooking pots are not to be cleaned in the evening though the eating utensils are cleaned in the evening itself. This probably arises from the fact that if some extra food is prepared, any unexpexted guests suddenly coming in the evening (for a stay) can be easily given his meal. Thus it is expected that food may remain for the next day and that is too precious to be thrown away. That remaining  hot food is kept covered and not touched by hand at all. However if the cooked foodstuff is touched by hand that food has to be discarded. Such is  the custom followed in many families there.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya