[Advaita-l] Advaitic Foods

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 03:23:34 CST 2010

namaste,

>3.Similarly Shudras jaathis can meat because of hard labor and also Kshatriya
>jaathis to develop rajas to rule/carry out wars, etc. But there >restrictions
>and limits. (Kanchi Paramacharya mentioned this in his book Voice of God)

This statement is not accurate.

>5.Similarly, what if Rajput works as a engineer, doctor, and runs his palace
>converted into hotel; can he still eat meat ?

Yes

>6.Likewise for a Shudra who does not do hard labor ?

Yes

>7.Or is it part of their svadharma (by virtue of being born into that
>varna/jaathi) that they can meat regardless of locale of residence or occupation
>or >change in circumstance ?

This is true.

The old dharma shAstra texts specify what kind of meat can be consumed(by all
including brAhmaNa-s) and which kind should be avoided. But they also maintain
that great spiritual merit(what is the exact sanskrit term for this?) is
attained by those who refrain from eating meat.

The recently authored dharma shAstra texts say that a brAhmaNa should not eat
meat.

brAhmaNa-s refraining from eating meat is more because of bauddha and jaina
influence.

>then Lord Sri Rama, seetha mAta and whole of rAma's
>family, pandava-s, bheeshma pitAmaha etc. must have been  non-vegetarians,
>because they are all kshatriya-s.  And Lord Krishna, who wisely advised to
>offer patram, pushpam, phalaM, tOyam was a non-veggie, because he was a
>shUdra !!??  Likewise, kings like janaka, ambareesha, bali chakravarthy
>etc. must be non-vegetarians...and parashurAma who slaughtered 'kshatriya
>kula' must have turned his diet to non-veg as his task was demanding an
>extra power !!??

Most likely they all ate meat with the exception being when they were performing
a vrata or tapas or a mantra purascharaNa for acquiring divine weapons. Why is
this something to be surprised about?

Some sects were very bothered by these non-veg details in medieveal times
Does this(apart from other things) give a clue as to why some sects have to
author a seperate mUla rAmAyaNa? :-))