[Advaita-l] Advaitic Foods - the nAstIka influence

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 11:44:58 CST 2010

Dear Satishji,

Why then Manu Smriti has a verse advising people to sanctify meat before eating? Even today the custom of sanctifying the raw meat by offering that to the Lord Mrigendra (Lord Vishnu as Mrigendra is in Veda) by chanting a Vedic verse is being followed by some people. Literally Mrigendra means Lion, the kings of beasts. In puranas also there are stories, where the severely emaciated rishis, after their severe austeriries, went to the kings place and the kings used to offer them meat dishes. In ancient Ayurvedic texts like Charaka samhita there are references as to the wholesomeness of meat and is said to be the best for recuperating health. In some of the ritiuals, related to the Manes, meat was sacrificed. Brahmins ate the sacrificial meat and those offered to them by the
 ksjatriyas but they did not hunt or kill animals and that was left to the Kshatriyas. Kshatriyas honed their military skills through the huntings and that way they also secured meat needed for recuperating their body after battles as well as for maintaing such a sturdy body suitable for warfare. The situation has changed with passage of time and thus the meateating also declined.

Of course, a vegetarian may contest this by saying that the vegetarians can also be sturdy. May be in some places meat eating might have declined due to the influence of Jainism. Any person interested in further details has only to look up the relevant literatur please.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya