[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Re: drushti and satya

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Feb 10 02:53:23 CST 2010

While commenting on the mantra ''satyam cha anRtam cha Satyam abhavat'
(Taittiriya Up. II.6) Sri Shankaracharya says: satyam = vyavaharavishayam
praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna
But prabhuji dont you think this quote exclusively dealing with srushti
prakriya and nothing to do with compartmentalization of reality which we
have been practicing oflate while dealing with certain issues??!!  This
quote says ultimate satya is the base for vyavahAravishaya and at a
stretch prAtibhAsika (if at all anruta is meant to denote prAtibhAsika..)
For that matter in geeta bhAshya too shankara clarifies that because of
the 'essence' of satya in vyavahAra, we could reach & deal in vyavahAra :
na hi nirAtmakaM kiMchit bhutaM vyavahArAya avakalpate (geeta 9-4)..coz.
this satya  is the kArANa for all appearances & it has to be there
anyway!!  As you know, in taitireeya itself, subsequently shruti says
yadidaM kiM cha tatsatyamityAchakshate to denote the 'all pervasiveness'
of that satya..in bruhadAraNyaka too shankara says nAma rUpa is satyaM and
these would envelop the prANa..nAma rUpe satyaM tAbhyAmayaM
prANashcchannaH, and in another place he says satyasya satyaM  is
paramAtma, satyaM cha bhUtapanchakaM, satyasya satyaM cha para Atma...From
these quotes, out of context, we cannot say nAma rUpa is also true (satya)
and paNcha bhUta also satya etc. &  there exists gradations in satya and
paramArtha satya can be contrasted from other two satya-s etc. ...If this
satya what shankara saying is 'real' satya, it is only from the point of
view of kArya-kAraNa ananyatva and not to advocate the different levels of
satya...
Kindly pardon me Sri subbu prabhuji, I know, you donot want to indulge in
discussion...but just sharing my amateur  thoughts..Thanks onceagain for
your interest in the subject.
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar