[Advaita-l] Date of Sankara

yajvan yajvan at san.rr.com
Sun Feb 14 16:14:33 CST 2010

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namasté

It is said as ādi śaṅkara-ji was seeking his master he came upon a sage that asked him 'who are you ? '; to
this question he replied with the following 6 stanzas. This is called nirvāṇaṣaṭkam.

I see this as the description of perfect stillness - perfect Being. My teacher would always talk
of 'the silence within' and this IMHO defines it justly.

nirvāṇa+ṣaṭ+kam
nirvāṇa - blown or put out , extinguished  calmed , quieted , tamed ; yet as a as a noun it is  perfect calm or repose or happiness , highest bliss;
ṣaṭ+kam  ṣaṭ  = ṣaḍ = 6 or 6 times  +  kam;
kam can be looked as as an affirmative sense of ' yes'  or ' well' due to its being at the end of the word; kam has many applications and meanings,  as kam is also happiness, welfare, etc. ( note too  ká is a noun of brahman).

So , as I see it it is the 6 stanzas that offer perfect calm and happiness, yes. Each recension ends
with or śivohaṁ śivohaṁ¹.

I am not mind, wisdom, pride, and heart. Or I am not ear, tongue, nose and eyes. I am not sky, land, power, and wind. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ)
I am not the state of being alive or the five type of prāṇavāyu. I am not the seven elements constituting the body (dhātu-s or the constitution of the body) or I am not the five sheaths which hide the soul. I am not voice, hand, or legs. I am not the portion at the bottom of waist (anus or liṅga). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ)
 I am not the state of envy and passion or I am not the emotions of greed and attachment. I am not intoxication or I am not the emotion of jealousy. And I am not even the four puruṣārtha, (the 4 goals in life dharma, artha, kāma and mokṣa). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
 I am not puṇya or pāpa ( ~fortune/merit or or sin~), friendship, or grief. I am not the chants or shrines. I am not the Veda, the sacrifice and the oblation. I am not even the action of eating, or the one that should be eaten (food), or the consumer. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-blissśivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
I am not death, I am not the doubts, I am not the differences between races. I am not a father, I am not a mother, or not even the birth. I am not a relative, I am not a preceptor, or I am not even a disciple. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
I am free from changes, and lack all the qualities and forms. I am present everywhere in all the sense-organs. I am not free or I am not even associated. I am not measurable (in any way). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
praṇām

word and references
śivohaṁ = śiva + ham ;  this 'ham'  an exclamation of courtesy or respect ; yet it is also it leads
us to 'ha' which is the shortened version of aham or 'I am'  - hence I am śiva.

The above translation is offered ( with a few additions by me) from this site  http://www.stutimandal.com/new/poemgen.php?id=30  where one can
see the saṃskṛt text.

Another translation here: http://www.swamij.com/shankara-atma-shatakam.htm