[Advaita-l] ThamasOmaa Jyothirgamaya!

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 16:06:15 CST 2010

Siva Senani ji,

Pranaams.  The goal is one but paths are many.  This is an accepted fact, is
it not?  We object to the Christian and Muslim proselytizers when they
insist on their single path.  That objection of ours is not time-bound!  It
is ever valid.

One should have tested his own theory before prescribing it to others.  For
example Bhagavan Ramana reached the Ultimate by his own unique method  that
he prescribed to others.  (He still held that his Guru was the Holy Hill of
Arunachala.)  Yet is it not true that his method is not the only method?

If you think your indriyas will lead you to the ultimate, try it out!

However there are  two important points (that everyone agrees) that form the
pillars of our understanding.  What are they?

1) The four mahavaakyas constitute the revelation that we have in order to
escape from the samsaara.  Without this important teaching of the Veda we
will be lost in samsaara for ever.

2) The idea of Maaya as constituting the samsaara.  Maaya itself is
anirvachaneeya yet we know that it operates through the three pillars called
Desam, Kaalam and Ahamkaaram yet those three are beginningless and endless.
Do we know where space begins and where it ends?  Do we know where time
begins and ends?  Do we know where the cause starts and the effect ends
without yielding to a new cause?

We will continue to be talking about these interchangeably.  Not everyone
would therefore agree to any guidelines to 'invoke' Maya.  If a person says
something is Maaya and you disagree, how about the fact that both of them
are maaya-bound in which case neither can be the holder of the absolute
truth!  I am saying this to highlight that mere discussion cannot be won or
lost.  That is why the true understanding always ends in mounam.  Mouna
vyaakyaana prakatitham!

With best regards,