[Advaita-l] How to begin studying Advaita Vedanta : post 1 of 3

chetan nagaraja write2chetan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 22:04:39 CST 2010

  Dear All,
         Is learning sanskrit necessary, for understanding Advaita. Is it
really necessary to know english to understand physics. Have not the
Japanese invented quite a lot of technology with Japanese itself. Even
Acharya Shanakara's "Bhaja Govindam" indicates  the false value of
language . To know Advaita is different and to Expereince Advaita is
different. And finally it does not mean one cannot experience Advaita
without first knowing  it. True knowledge  comes through experience. Hence I
request the enlightneed ones on this list  to explain to people like us who
find sankrit difficult , the method to experience Advaita.
My humble pranams,
Chetan
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:41 AM, yajvan <yajvan at san.rr.com> wrote:

> hariḥ oṁ
> ~~~~~~
>

> Regarding the study  advaita vedānta , let me offer a point of view for
> your kind consideration.
> Let me also avoid long posts - so I  will do this in 3 installments.
> Post 1 :  An opinion  why this advaita vedānta is relevant
> Post 2:   catúr-liṅga  ( 4 marks) of advaita vedānta
> Post 3:  a brief conclusion
>
> For all posts, I look to be corrected and/or look to additional insights on
> all matters.
> I consider myself a śiṣya of this body of knowledge and take no special
> authority
> On the wisdom offered - it is on other great shoulders we stand.

> POST 1 of 3
>
> We know advaita अद्वैत means the following: a=not + dvaita = duality ,
> duplicity , dualism
> Also - advitīya = without a second , sole , unique, matchless ( as in
> couple) from a + dvitīya a=not + dvitīya= second, couple, accompanied by,
> companion
>
> So , why such a big deal over this? What helps us better understand the
> value of this notion of this advitīya ?
>
> IMHO there are many reasons and I hope the members of this forum will
> continue to offer their views based upon the śāstra-s, yet one salient point
> for me comes from the bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad - puruṣavidha-brāhmaṇa, 2nd
> śloka. It simply says the following:
> Any time there is a sense of 2, fear arises i.e. dvitiyad vai bhayam
> bhavati - Fear is born of duality.
> dvitiyad or dvitīya द्वितीय - 2nd or two , couple,
> bhayam or bhaya भय - fear , alarm dread apprehension
> ( rooted in bhī to fear for , be anxious about )
> vai an emphasis and affirmation , generally placed after a word
> and laying stress on it (it is usually translatable by 'indeed' ,
> 'truly' , 'certainly' )
> bhavati or bhava भव arising or produced from , being in
> The implications of this truth is profound... we can talk of this if there
> is interest.
>
> praṇām
>
> End of Post 1.

Chetan