[Advaita-l] How to begin studying Advaita Vedanta : post 1 of 3

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jan 26 13:30:16 CST 2010

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010, Sunil Bhattacharjya wrote:

> Here is a digression, which I hope you will allow. Govindacharya is from
> Kashmir. This is news to me and I do not contest this. I understand that
> Bhartrihari was  Govindacharya's son and that Bhartrihari spent his last
> days in Gangawar. I also understand that one of the sons of
> Govindacharya ruled in Ujjain. Can you kindly let me know if you have
> any information on these two things related to Govindacharya?

According to the book "Adi Shankara: His life and times" by Swami
Chandrashekarendra Saraswati, Govinda Bhagavatapada was from Kashmir and
was named Chandra Sharma in his purvashram.  He rescued Gaudapadacharya
from a curse which had made him a brahmarakshasa and then became his
shishya.  This story is taken from a kavya called Patanjalivijaya by
Ramabhadra Dikshit (c. 17th century.)

Traditionally Bhartrahari the grammarian and author of shrngara, niti, and
vairagya shatakas is said to be the half-brother of King Vikramaditya (who
founded the Vikrama Samvata era and is therefore c. 1st century BC.) and
was the king of Ujjain until he became disgusted with worldly life and
left the throne to his brother.  Their fathers name was Gandharvasen.