[Advaita-l] The Human aspect of Jnanis - 5 (Concluded)

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 06:07:53 CDT 2010

Dear Sri Vidyasankar & Praveen:

Thanks for your thoughts. The subject has drifted a little from what I was
trying to get at - most likely due to my own responses. I guess, in all
this, what I am trying to understand is the mind of the Jnaani (self
realized soul).* Is what the Jnaani writes 'revealed' to him or her? Or it
is a product of his or her MI? *

When Praveen writes:
"The greatness of advaita vedanta lies in the fact that it accepts the
mithya level of BMI of the sAdhaka or the author/ Guru to reveal the truth
as it stands."

And when Sri Subrahmanian writes:
"Any work written be it the Brahma Sutras  by Badarayana or the Bhashya by
Bhagavatpada Shankara is essentially 'pUreSheya'."

it clearly indicates that the MI is involved.* If so, given the general
nature of MI, it is subject to fallibility.* And that is what was
disconcerting to me. The question I asked myself was, why should the MI of
Sri Aurobindo (for example) be any different from that of Sankaracharya? *Were
they not both Jnaanis?* Why then is Sankaracharya any more correct about
'The Truth' than Sri Aurobindo? To support Shankaracharya's position, it is
argued that his philosophy is more in line with the scriptures and also that
he professes true freedom for the jiva. But given that we as novices can see
this, one ought to give that much credit to a profound saint like Sri
Aurobindo to draw a similar conclusion!

Then, as Sri Vidyasankar has pointed out, there were many subsequent
Advaitin Jnaanis who did not agree fully with Sankaracharya's philosophy. Is
this an indication of fallibility on the Acharya's part? Or do we say that
they were not Jnaanis and hence did not understand the Acharya?

Lastly, one may call the various teachings as paths to reality - that is
agreeable, but then one must, if one is to be honest, accept that
Sankaracharya's philosophy as a path & not 'The Truth'. To Praveen's view
that it has to be 'The Truth' since it professes 'freedom without
qualification', I again ask why did a Vallabhacharaya not see this? If the
latter was born to serve the needs of a certain people at a certain time,
why don't we give Sankaracharya a similar mission?

I guess the thread "The Mechanics of Self Realization" which Sri Sadananda
has recently started in this group, and addresses this very state of a
Jnaani, could not have come at a more opportune moment. I will follow it
closely.

In closing, Praveen, I look forward to your private communication on the
topic of freedom.

Thanks, Mahesh