[Advaita-l] Bh.Gita verse 18.73 - Was Arjuna an 'aparoksha Jnani'? - Part 4

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 23:24:56 CDT 2010

Namaste Sri Jaldhar Vyas

Request you explain Adi Sankara's comments in BSB 3.4.20 -
http://www.archive.org/stream/vedntasutrastr02bdar/vedntasutrastr02bdar_djvu.txt

'To these objections we
make the following reply. The term ' brahmasamstha '
denotes fulfilment in Brahman, a state of being grounded
in Brahman to the exclusion of all other activity. Now
such a state is impossible for persons belonging to the
three former asramas, as scripture declares that they suffer
loss through the non-performance of the works enjoined
on their asrama. The mendicant, on the other hand, who
has discarded all works can suffer no loss owing to non-
performance. Such duties as are incumbent on him, viz.
restraint of the senses and the like, are not opposed to
the state of being grounded in Brahman, but rather helpful
above those lower penances, indeed, there rises renuncia-
tion ; ' ' Those anchorites who have well ascertained the
object of the knowledge of the Vedanta and have purified
their nature by the Yoga of renunciation ' (Mu. Up. Ill,
2, 6)
to it. For the only work enjoined on him by his asrama
is the state of being firmly grounded in Brahman, wherein
he is strengthened by restraint of the senses and so on
just as sacrifices and the like are prescribed for the other
asramas  and loss he incurs only by neglecting that work.
In agreement herewith texts from scripture and Smriti
declare that for him who is grounded in Brahman there
are no works. Compare ' Renunciation is Brahman ; for
Brahman is the highest ; for the highest is Brahman ;
above those lower penances, indeed, there rises renuncia-
tion ; ' ' Those anchorites who have well ascertained the
object of the knowledge of the Vedanta and have purified
their nature by the Yoga of renunciation ' (Mu. Up. Ill,
2, 6) '

and

'In this way we understand that, although there is a
reference to the other stages of life, that which is indicated
by the quality of being grounded in Brahman is the state
of the wandering mendicant. '

Adi Sankara says sanyasa asrama is must for brahmasamstha. Other
asramas people commit sin if they do not perform duties . But these
duties will not allow them to be Brahmasamstha. They cannot be
Brahmasamstha. Only Sanyasi can be Brahmasamstha. If a man is not
Brahmasamstha he cannot get moksha. How can he ? Only Sanyasi can get
moksha . Who can be sanyasi? Brahmins. not non dvijas definitely . How
can they get moksha? Not.

Vidura is exception case because he had good samskaras from previous births.

Conclude non dvijas  not eligibile for moksha. they must be born again
as brahmins to get moksha.

itihasa purana knowledge cannot be Brahmavidya of Vedanta Otherwise
everybody will listen to itihasa purana only and leave Vedanta.
Itihasa purana will be easy path than vedanta because non dvijas even
can get same result without restrictions on food drink & life like
brahmins . then vedanta is not special brahmins are not special. this
is wrong conclusion. Correct conclusion itihasa purana can give punya
to be born as brahmin. to get a chance for moksha.

Regards,

-Venkatesh