[Advaita-l] Anya Devata

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Jul 31 00:18:59 CDT 2010

Just some comments.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, V Subrahmanian wrote:

> Amara Simha's period is said to be the 7th century.

Amarasinha is tradtionally said to have been one of the 'nine jewels' of
the court of King Vikramaditya which would make his era c. 1st century AD.

> The Sixth form of Durga In Shaktism she's associated with the fierce
> forms of Shakti and a War goddess, which also include Bhadrakali and
> Chandi, and traditionally she's associated with the colour red, as with
> Goddess Durga, the primordial form of Shakti,

In the amarakosha it is also said that Katyayani is a synonym of widow.
Normally widows are thought of as being unlucky but Devi embodies Woman in
all stages of life and is always blessing Her bhaktas in all Her forms.  (
Perhaps there might be better treatment of widows in our culture if more
people were aware of this.)

> a fact
> also mentioned in Patanjali’s Mahabhashya on Panini, written in 2nd BCE .

Is this so?  I think the writer might be confusing the Goddess with
Katyayana the varttikakara on Paninis sutras who text is embedded in the
Mahabhashya.