[Advaita-l] New members

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 08:00:14 CDT 2010

Dear Sri Keshava Prasad,

Let me begin by applauding your effort to understand advaita vedAnta and
your willingness to enter into an academic program towards that purpose. I
would request you to keep the following issues in mind and get personal
clarity on them before you enter into it -

a. Is your interest in advaita from an academic perspective or from a sAdhanA

perspective or both?

b. Which country/university are you in now and are your personal circumstances
such that you can easily relocate to do a PhD?

c. If you were to enter into a PhD program in vedAnta, would your interest be
in writing about the philosophy or in focusing on textual analysis and interpretation?

d. In either case, do you have sufficient knowledge of the Sanskrit language,
and if not, are you prepared to spend a year or two just gaining a fair level of
mastery over the language before getting deeper into your PhD study?

I suppose the rest of this conversation can be taken offline, so do feel free to
respond via private email.

Best wishes,

Vidyasankar