[Advaita-l] Two types of Atma jnAni-s &their approachtoreallife situation

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Jun 25 03:55:55 CDT 2010

As long as there is a body, hunger and sleep and dreams arise. As long as
there is
a mind, various mental states arise. On the other hand, for a jnAnI, the
mere arising
of a mental state does not mean that there is indulgence or repulsion
towards that
mental state. This applies as much to negative states such as kAma and
krodha as
to any other mental state, however positive it may be.

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Krishna in second chapter says how the kAma & krOdha arises in the mental
factory...dhyAyatO vishayAn pumsaH sangasteshUpajAyate, saMgAt saMjAyate
kAmaH kAmAt krOdhObhijAyate...prabhuji, you know result of this kAma &
krOdha and what krishna says at the end of this verse: buddhi nAshAt
praNashyate..Now, we are saying that this kAma /krOdha arises in the mind
of the jnAni also like any other ordinary people..Since we are ascribing
kAma & krOdha to jnAni also we have to say to get this kAma & krOdha he
would engage himself in sense objects & develop attachments for them
(dhyAyato vishayAn puMsaH sangasteshUpajAyate etc.)...In short what we are
saying here is jnAni too does have the attachments to the sense objects
and the result of that he would get kAma & krOdha but unlike other
ordinary mortals, he would 'control' these wicked thoughts....IMO, this
definition of the jnAni suits more to yOgi than Atmaikatva jnAni..wheras
jnAni (ofcourse as I understand)  is anudvignA and he is krutakrutya...and
that jnAni has the sthirabuddhi coz. he is brahmavida & he is brahma
sthitha...(sthirabuddhirasaMmudhO brahmavidbrahmaNi sthitaH)..But to the
contrary to this we are saying jnAni too will get the kAma krOdha but
control of the same & 'time gap' between arising & controling depends upon
the 'set' of antaHkaraNa he has !!!! These are all nothing but alien
theories for me & frankly this is the first time I am hearing these type
of definitions about jnAni.  AtmaupamyEna 'sarvatra samaM pashyate, sukhaM
vA yadi vA dhukhaM sa yOgee paramO mataH...Being established in egoless
state jnAni sees no distinction between himself and others, nor between
one person and another (sadhy shavapicha pApeshu, vidya vinaya sampanne,
brahmaNe gavi hastini etc. )  for him neither sex nor desire nor any
mundane social status exists for him to get agitated for not getting  bed
coffee, kurl-on bed at night or hot water for the bath coz. his
realization that he is secondless is in absolute sense...  I am sorry to
be fussy here...just I cannot see the Atmaikatva jnAni-s in such a
deprived state!!!

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar