[Advaita-l] On Sannyasa

sriram nagaraj sriram_photon at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 10:14:50 CST 2010

Sri Gurubhyo Namaha!

I am a bit confused as to, according to Manu Smriti and other Dharma Sastras who is eligible for Sannyasa Ashrama, in terms of Varna/Kula etc. Many authorities have upheld the view that Varna was by birth and only a Sannyasi who was a Brahmana in the Poorvashrama is eligible to be a Mathadhipathi. However, I have not come across anywhere what the eligibility for Sannyasa is. I hope someone in the list can enlighten me on this matter.

Namo Namaha Sri Guru Paadukaabhyam

Sriram Nagaraj

--The inner Light illuminates our minds--