[Advaita-l] On the forms of Guru

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 05:04:02 CST 2010

> [In the Gita, the verse 13.20 says:
>
> कार्यकरणकर्तृत्वे हेतुः प्रकृतिरुच्यते ।
> पुरुषः सुखदुःखानां भोकृत्वे हेतुरुच्यते ॥
>
> A summary of the Bhashyam : // 'kAryam' is the physical body and 'karaNam'
> refers to the thirteen instruments: five sense organs, five motor organs,
> Manas, Buddhi and ahamkAra.  The five elements (bhUtas) which build up the
> body, and the five sense-objects which are the emanations of PrakRti as
> mentioned above are included in the term 'kAryam' and all qualities such
as
> pleasure, pain and delusion which are born of PrakRti are included under
the
> term 'instruments', since those qualities are seated in the instruments,
the
> senses.  In the production of the physical body, of the senses and their
> sensations, PrakRti is said to be the cause, for, it generates them all.
> Thus, as producing the physical body AND THE SENSES (13 in number),
PrakRti
> is the cause of samsara.//
>
> From tha above summary we understand that the physical body is not a
> stand-alone; the senses, thirteen in number, which include the manas,
buddhi
> and ahankara, are not a stand-alone;  It is a package presented by
PrakRti,
> as a result of the jiva's karma.  It is impossible to separate the
> mind/buddhi/ahankara from this prakRti-given package, along with the
> physical body.  According to Shankaracharya, it is this kArya-karaNa
> sanghAta (a word often used in the commentarial literature), that is
termed
> 'prArabdham' or rather the apparatus with which the prArabdha karma bhoga
> takes place.

Too much labour into nothing.  The purusha here (Gita verse 13.20 ) is the
jeeva.  We are talking of a jeevan muktha who is asangan with the body.

"Since a Jnani is undoubtedly admitted to undergo the praarabdha karma.."

Wait a minute here!  Who says a Gyaani is undergoing anything in this
prakrthi?  Then what will be the difference between gnyaani and agnyaani?
Just the idea he knows and other one does not know?  What about Aanandha to
which He is privy and the ordinary jeeva is not?  The moment you are in
Aanandha the prakrithi disappears for you.   The scriptures and the Gurus
say this however no amount of quotations would suffice.   This one has to
find it out for himself.

Seeing a 'Gnyaani suffers' is a standpoint of agnyaani.  The agnyaani
recognizes only the body and then from there the mind in the body.

This is where the Guru is so very important.  This thread is aptly dedicated
to the Guru.

However I appreciate you reading and quoting a lot.

Mundaka is dedicated to the Sanyasins and teaches the realization through
the cleansing of the mind.  Both Sankara and Ramana have other methods of
realization through surrender and abandoning of the mind in its graveyard.

Ramana's teaching is simple.  He says: Mind is a bundle of thoughts only.
All thoughts stem from the 'I' thought.  Find out where the 'I' thought
comes from and remain there.

Aathman is the source (adhishtaanam) of the mind.

This 'pushing' of the mind into the Aathman where it gets dissolved is for
all saamaanyans.  No paandithyam is needed.  Only Guru Bhakthi.

And any of the various processes of realization *cannot* happen without
surrender to a Guru.

I hope the one who advocates the cleansing of the mind understands that the
process involves ridding from the mind of the pancha klEsas that are (i)
avidhya (ii) asmitha (iii) raga (iv) dwEsha and (v) abnivEsha.  This is no
easy process and given the nature of the mind such an endeavour will more
likely fail.   So much so it is for those who follow the rigours of sanyasa
dharma.

Regards,
Anbu