[Advaita-l] On the forms of Guru

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 09:03:27 CDT 2010

A story on Rama told by Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi.  I am sure it is published
somewhere but I am writing from memory.

Once Paarvathi and ParamEswaraaL were surveying the world as
vrushbhaaroodar.  Suddenly Paarvathi saw below on the earth Raama was crying
saying: "SeethE, SeethE, where are you?  Where have you gone?" and so on.
So Paarvathi said to ParamEswara:  "Swaamy!  You told me that Rama is a
perfect man.  What kind of perfect man is he to cry on the disappearance of
his wife?"  To this Siva said: "I still say he is the perfect man.  If you
want you can go and test him."  Immediately Parvathi descended on earth and
appeared before Rama in the form of Seetha.  But to her surprise Rama turned
180 degrees and continued with his crying.  So Paarvathi appeared before him
again but Rama seem to ignore and turned a 90 degrees and started crying
"SeethE, SeethE".   Parvathi appearing as Seetha before Rama and Rama
turning away from her continued like this for sometime.  Then suddenly Rama
exclaimed at Paarvathi saying: "Paarvathi!  Why are you here in the guise of
Seetha?  Where is Shiva?  Please go back to Him before he starts looking for
you."  And then he turned away from Paarvathi and continued his lamentation
on Seetha!

Then Paarvathi was convinced that Rama was a perfect man who plays his role
efficiently.