[Advaita-l] Avidya, Jnanis and SSS' views

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat May 1 12:31:13 CDT 2010

Namaste Sir,

Many thanks for the references.  Actually, even as I wrote that
request for Bhashya references for 'sadyomukti', what I had in mind
was the 'sadyomukti' that is being discussed in this thread.

This term assumes at least two meanings:

1.  Mukti from ajnAna-kRta bandha through samyagjnAna.  This is had
'here itself', 'now itself', in this life itself.

2.  Mukti from bandha thru jnAna where there is no life to be lived by
the mukta.  This is the context in which I asked for references from
the bhashya.  And this is the context of eka jiva vAda where there is
no jivanmukti, avidya lesha/prarabdha.

The references provided by you are essentially of the first type where
the need for going to Brahma Loka (krama mukti) is obviated.  In that
sense only it is 'sadyaH eva muktiH'.  This is what the Bhashya is
teaching.  This is clear from the second reference given by you:

न हि सद्योमुक्तिभाजां सम्यग्दर्शननिष्ठानां गतिरागतिर्वा क्वचिदस्ति ’न
तस्य प्राणा उत्क्रामन्ति’  ( Br.Up.4.4.6) इति श्रुतेः |
[ For those endowed with the knowledge of the Atman, there is no
question of traveling to / from other loka-s as taught in the shruti
passage: this Jnani's prANa-s do not depart. ]

Let me humbly state, Sir, that you are already on the path to attain
the sadyomukti that the Bhashyakara has spoken of in these two