[Advaita-l] Adwaita and God.

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 13:35:08 CDT 2010

Dear Srikantaji,

1)
You have forgotten that you brought in the story first to show that Gaudapada was a disciple of Patanjali, which included the story regarding the curse of Patanjali. I responded by extending that with the Adi Sankaracharya's addressing Govindapadacharya as Patanjali's rebprn. I am surprised that you are taking umbrage at it, If you wanted to say that I have not studied Buddhism adequately and you have studied much more and more thoroughly I salute you.
2)
As regards calling Gaudapadacharya also as Pracchanna Buddha is not my invention. I just told you what different people have opined. Take it or leave it if you like. Nobody can also go back in time and ask Yamunacharya whether he really called Adi Sankarcharya  as Pracchanna Buddha or not.
3)
I talked about
 Lord Buddha's Shunyata through what Nagarjuna said, as historically it is accepted that Nagarjuna was the first to bring out the Mahayana texts and Ashvaghosa was also a contemporary of Nagarjuna. I have done a lot of research on the dating of Lord Buddha and Kaniska as well. You must be knowing that Nagarjuna and Ashvaghosa were contemporaries during the regime of Kaniska I have presented a paper on the Dotted Records in the WAVES Conference in Florida sometime ago showing the periods of Buddha and Kaniska I arrived at and these tally with the brilliant work of Prof. Narahari Achar on the dates of Lord Buddha and Kaniska, using astronomical data.  I will not be surprised if you tell me that you know the ancient Indian history also more than me and that I should shut up.
4)
Though Nagarjuna was the earliest exponent of Shunyata after Lord Buddha, there is no substitute for reading Lord Buddha' own words as recorded in Prajnaparamita and its smaller versions. Hope
 you have read those  too. The famous brothers Asanga and Vasubandhu came much later. You must be aware that Vasubandhu had written on Abhidharma and later on made a U-turn and opposeed his own earlier work through another work. Dignaga was a disciple of Vasubandhu. Dharmakirti, the senior contemporary of Adi Sankaracharya, lived a couple of centuries after Dignaga. I feel one must have clear historical perspectives in discussing the evolution of the different schools of Mahayana Buddhism. This is not to say that you do not have. You may have deeper knowledge on these and may deserve another salute from people like me.
5)
Silence of Lord Buddha is inner silence and that did not deter Lord Buddha from preaching in louder voices.  Chittavrittinirodha is Patanjali's way to achieve the true silence and that is not different from the state of Samadhi. True silence cannot also be achieved without true renunciation. Inner silence is the aim of the Sanatana dharma and
 you must be aware that Lord Buddha did not claim to have invented anything new. He was frank in admitting that he was just retelling what the ancient seers had told.
6)
Why I told you about the Bhagavad Gita is because one should not dismiss  the BhagavadGita  just as a primer. You must have understood from  the Mahabharata that all the Kaurava and the Pandava princes were taught all the shastras ( as told by Vaishampayana to Janmejaya) yet Arjuna's confusions vanished only after hearing the discourse on the Bhagavad Gita in the battlefield. So please do not underestimate the useful role of the Bhagavad Gita. Bhagavad Gita is the one treatise that alone removes whatever confusions people may have after reading all the Upanishads. The Brahmasutra too cannot help as much as the Bhagavad Gita can do. I shall add to that the Uttara Gita and you must be aware that Gaudapadacharya valued it very much. Whatever the Lord could not say in the battle field was supplemented in the Uttara Gita
7)
I shall still reuest you to give the references wher you said  the Vedanta says that Vishnu is not Shunya.

It is good that you
 have told me about your scholarship and I assure you, as before, that my intention was not to challenge your scholarship. I shall by this request the moderators (and to my knowledge Jaldharji is one of them) to have a sort of details of the learned members in the group file so that the members can look at the details and accomplishments of the members, when they wish to.

As regards myself I am from Assam. Seven Bhattacharjya (or Bhattacharya or Bhattacharjee) families, including my forefathers,  shifted from Shantipur in West Bengal to Assam in the first half of the 18th century. One of those families still speak Bengali at home though they can speak equally well in Assamese. I speak Assamese in home though I know Bengali equally well. I also know Hindi, Marathi and Konkani well apart from English. I almost forgot my German and Russian and the later was compulsorily taught in the Training school before one could join Atomic Energy Establishment in Mumbai as a scientist. Presently I am retired and settled
 in Maharashtra, shuttling between Mumbai, Pune and my place in Assam. At this time I am in Santa Clara, California. My interest has been in Indian Philosophy and ancient Indian history and I am of the opinion one cannot really understand the development of Indian Philosophy without having a proper historical perspective. Further most importantly one should shed the western notion that the different darshanas are different systems of competing philosophies and that is a must before one can really begin to understand Indian Philosophy. These darshanas are the answers to the jijnasas at different levels. I would like to know more about you either through mail sent to the group or by direct mail to my email id. I had the good fortune of meeting Vidyasankarji in Mumbai sometime ago and probably he is the only group member I had me so fart.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya