[Advaita-l] Adwaita and God.

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 13:26:35 CST 2010

Dear Vidyasankarji,

There has been opinions passed regarding the needlessness of Karma, Sankhya and Yoga in front of Vedanta. But Lord krishna did not say so.

On karma the Lord said  "Asakto hyaacharan karma param apnoti purushah". There are several similar verses where the Lord upheld the Karma s a means.of attaining the param purusha. One has to work dilligently and being in Yoga as the Lord said in the Bhagavad Gita. The Lord also says that the Yogi is higher than the man of Knowledge when he said "Tapasvibhyo'dhiko-----tasmaad yogi bhavarjuna". Again the Yogasikhopanishad says one may be learned, dispassionate, knower of the religious principles and have mastery over the senses yet one cannot escape the body without Yoga. Please note that this is from an Upanishad. Further People generally ignore that Vivekakhyati is very much a part of the Yoga and has been mentioned by Patanjali. The lovers of Bhagavad Gita  know that the Lord also clubbed Sankhya and Yoga together. Does not all these point to the fact that one cannot ignore Yoga in favour of Jnana, as both are important? Howevermuch one may try to
 acquire Jnana it will be futile without Yoga.

Any comment?

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya