[Advaita-l] Did Sankara have non-brahmin disciples?

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 07:56:48 CDT 2010

namaste

>I recollect having read in the soundaryalahari tamizh commentary of kadalangudi
>natesa sastrigal that >although it is nisheda for traivarnikas, it is
>unfortunate that even some brahmanas take deeksha in tantra >vidya.  Ofcourse if
>I remember correctly he refers to mathysa madhu maamsa maitunadiyukta
>vamatantra.

First:  tantra vidyA is not equal to rituals using meat fish liqour etc. Only
one section of tAntrIka-s use it.

A brAhmaNa when he takes up a pure tAntrika dIkSha like for example shrIvidyA,
he refrains from using any forbidden materials like those you mentioned.

>So, in the first place is there any nisheda for brahamans taking diksha in
>tantra vidya considering above >reference of kadalangudi natesa sasthrinaH?

I am unaware of the existence of any rule saying a brAhmaNa should not take
tAntrika dIkSha. Those statements where a niSheda is mentioned refer to rituals
which involve forbidden items.