[Advaita-l] Did Sankara have non-brahmin disciples?

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:21:31 CDT 2010

Vidyasankar, I have perhaps not clearly stated the relevance of the
question. Anyone can read the text and even publish research thesis if they
are sharp. Many scholars discuss advaita vedanta over a cup of tea or even a
glass of wine in top notch universities. For such people, is this a positive
mental impression of higher ideals or a sinful activity that will retard
their progress in spiritual evolution? There are women, sudras and even
mlechhas in movements such as Chinmaya, that learn advaitam. Many of them
are even renowned teachers. Are they allowed to learn first of all? Even in
sankara mutts, there are many devout kshatriyas and vaishyas who learn
advaita vedanta from books and  listening to lectures. For them, is it
better to focus on their svadharma rather than try to learn the nature of
reality? Are grahastha brahmanas allowed to learn and teach advaitam as they
are not practising renounciation?

As a liberal, I would like to think that the modern day situation is not a
degradation but every one can learn at least theory. I you dont know the
theory, how will you ever progress towards practice with conviction? But
instead of making convenient assumptions, I would like to know if Sankara
did have non-brahmin and / or non-sannyasi disciples? I dont think history
is indeterminate always. If we are lucky, we may be able conclude this
through direct evidence from Sankara's writings, works of his direct
disciples and sankara dig vijayas. If they are completely silent on this, we
should be able to decide based on sastras whether vedanta is universally
accessible.