[Advaita-l] Is Jiva in communion with God is of lower value?

srikanta srikanta at nie.ac.in
Fri Oct 29 03:17:19 CDT 2010

Sri Rajaram Venkatramani does bring some important questions.If a jiva
wants to be in eternal communion or love with God,why should it be
considered a lower value?Honestly,some times I feel Advaitin scholars
get unnecessarily defensive on this score.If someone has intense
devotion to God,that is admirable in itself so long as it is real
devotion.We should leave it at that.Jnanis would not argue on this
account,I think.

The problem with this is doesit conflict with the sruthi and the smrthi?
If one is blissfully ignorant about the reality,then it is his lot.The
point is this communion will not last eternally.The sruthis and the
smrthis declare that ,"There is only that","Thathvameva".The
Isavasyopanishad declares"Tatra ko mohah kah shokah
ekatvamanupasyatah"?Since the jivatmabhava is an illusion and a reflection
of the universal reality,the Brahman,it is of lower value.it still belongs
to the Apara Brahman or the Hiranyagarbha Brahman.There is no Ananda which
is long in that communion,but it is shortlived.Only,Vishishtadvatins and
Dwaitins hold this opinion.Hence Vishistadwaitins of Ramanuja school,in
reality cannot be called as "Vishishta-Adwaitins",but,as
"Vishista-Dwaitins".
                                                        N.Srikanta.