[Advaita-l] pUrvajas' karma / pApa & our burden

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 02:38:11 CDT 2010

Hari OM, Bhaskar ji,

I don't have Bhagavatpada's bhashya reference for this, but for similar
reason that it is said that the j~nAni's sa~Ncita puNya accrues to those who
praise him and his sa~Ncita pApa accrues to those who criticize him. Why is
one jIva related with other's sa~Ncita here too? AFAIK, the jIva's birth in
a particular family is his purva janma saMskAra and vAsana and it includes
the relation with the those jIva-s he would relate in his prArabdha that
gave this janma. That prArabdha itself includes his own ill-doings that bind
him to his ancestor's pApa karma, though they are not his direct doings. He
relates to them in his deha bhAva due to that very prArabdha of his, not
someone else's. That binding is also responsible for his offering piNDa.

The things are not as clearly visible to us, being adRRiShTa, and thus we
should take it on shraddhA, shouldn't we? :)

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> Last week I have attended an 'ashlesha bali' and sarpa saMskAra ritual  as
> a Ritvik. After pooja & hOma, during AshirvachanaM,  pradhAna AchArya has
> told the katru that due to pApa karma done by his pUrvaja-s (ancestors) he
> & his family were suffering from nAga dOsha,  now, after performing all
> these prAyaschitta karma-s (bali, saMskAra etc.) these sins have been
> cleared.  ...

how can one jeeva's karma phala can affect