[Advaita-l] Thanks for all the very experienced comments on self realisation

vijaya1.kambhampati at tiscali.co.uk vijaya1.kambhampati at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 15:59:21 CDT 2010

Hi to all,

Thank you to all for their kind and very experienced comments on where
a very ordinary person stands with respect to the need for self
realisation in his or her life.

As Sunilji says 'real sanyasha should be in spirit, one has to
practice it in real lifre through selfless work. We cannot be egoless
just theoretically'.

However, in life and while working we expect people to be kind to us
and polite to us. Is that being egoistic or expecting too much. So how
attached must we be to how people treat us at work. The director of a
company would react if her/his secretary was rude to her/him.- as it is
not workable. Would that be egoistic. Sometimes it may be the other way
round and a senior cleverer person may be rude unnecessarily to a
junior staff he may be angry with.  How should the junior staff react
to rude behaviour or would you say that all behaviour towards us is
asked for by us in this birth or previous birth.

I was also happy to agree with Kuntimaddi ji when he wrote about the
requirement for a quiet mind to self realise-  'If the mind is purified
enough then it first sees the viswarauupa of the Lord - as His presence
everywhere. The all pervading Lord cannot be only in Himalayas, right?
For that I need to understand the nature of Brahman and the nature of
this world as mithyaa - it is an understanding as understanding as a
fact not just as a thought. Calm and quiet environment is helpful for
any serious study and contemplation and more so when I am trying to
divert my mind to the subtlest of all- the self that I am.'

My only worry being that I do not see myself at this moment as being
able to renounce worldly attachments for many years. I find it hard to
be quiet most moments of the day. While I can avoid or blot out
thoughts, in the process I could also lose alertness which is a
hindrance to awakening I have heard.

This takes me to the point by Nagarajan ji that ' We can do a simple
test, where we can try to sit in one
>place for an hour.? If we are honest, we will find that we are unable
to do
>so because of constant chattering and the corresponding association
that is
>going on our mind.? So, it wouldn't matter if we sit in our house or
>himalayas, our >thoughts are our enemy.? It is not easy to control
the modification of the
>mind.? It takes time to aware of our vasanas and gain purification of
mind
>through Sadhana'.

You are right Nagarajan ji - To quieten the mind is very difficult as
the ego feels redundant. To act for the lord without thoughts would
make me feel out of control and my ego would feel useless. The notion
that I thought of the good deed  to do for the day makes me feel in
control even if all good acts are god ordained.

And finally I have found it reassuring that as Srikanta ji quotes
'Shankara Bhagawatpada in his
>commentaries on Brahmasutras,Upanishads,Bhagawadgita reiterates that
>Self-realization is within everyone's reach.No vidhi or kriya can
help one
>to attain it.His illustious disciple,Sureshwaracharya also in his
>"Naishkarmyasiddhi"again and again says that self-realization is
possible
>in this very birth.'

I think the problem for many of us aspirants is that we are so
enamoured with the material world itself, that we may not at the bottom
of our heart desire to ever leave it even though it is maya. Eternal
bliss seems nice but unachievable as we are so stuck on the world of
matter. Until some unpleasant situation develops in our life we do not
seek self realisation because we have made it our mission in life to
have pleasurable moments only and importantly do not have the endurance
to cope with anything else.

Anyhow, in conclusion I have also heard that in Kali yug, moksha will
be achieved more quickly by those who try. I may be wrong !!!!!!

Thank you to Advaita list for answering my quetions so kindly.

Best Wishes,
Vijaya Kambhampati.