[Advaita-l] On the number of brahmasutra bashyas

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Apr 16 01:22:03 CDT 2011

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Srikanta Narayanaswami wrote:

> Regarding the numericals on the Brahmasutra bhashyas,both badarayana and
> shankara name quite a few sutrakaras in the
> books.Asmarathya,Audulomi,badari,jaimini

These names are associated with sertain purvacharyas whose opinions on
Vedanta, Purva Mimamsa or sometimes even both, the sutrakara thought
worthy of note but this does not necessarily mean they wrote complete
bhashyas themselves.  Though I believe Sureshwaracharya in the
naishkarmyasiddhi does suggest that Jaimini the author of the Purva
Mimamsa Sutras wrote a brahmasutrabhashys or even an original set of
sutras on Vedanta.

An interesting thing to note is that both Jaimini and Badarayana are
quoted in each others sutras but Badarayana often overrules Jaimini
whereas Jaimini never does the same to Badarayana.  I think this confirms
the tradition that Jaimini was the shishya of Badarayana aka Veda Vyasa.

> are some of the examples.there is a bhashya by Sripathi panditacharya from
> the veerashaiva point of view.

If I recall correctly this bhashya is even more modern than Madhva.