[Advaita-l] Raja Mudra

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 02:45:23 CDT 2011

DeraVenkataji,

Thank you for telling us about the Raja Mudra. I have not read the short treatise by Sankara called "chatusutri". Will  you let us know how to get that.

As regards the Vedas there is a belief that Brahma, Visnu and Shiva represent the three Vedas and the Divine Mother represents the fourth Veda. As if in line with this we find that Saundaryalahari-25 tells us that the worship of the Divine satisfies  Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Upanishads further tell us that Purana and Itihasa together constitute the fifth Veda. Purana tells us that before separating the four Vedas and the fifth Veda all of them were together called as one Veda under the name of Yajur Veda.

It is believed that Adi Sankaracharya wanted to write the bhashya of the Lalita Trishati first but someone fetched him the Bhagavad Gita in place of the Laita Trishati. It was only at the ens of his life he could write the bhashya an Lalita Trishati and that also appears to be an  indication that Adi Sankaracharya could have retired to Kanchi to be at the feet of the Mother, though he did not formally establish any fifth Mutt there. It could be the Adi Sankaracharya expected the Sringeri Mathadhipati to look after the Kanchipuram establishment after his demise.

I have visited the Sringeri Mutt, the Dwarka Mutt as well the Kudali Sringeri Mutt but could not visit so far the Puri Mutt and the Kanchi Kamakoti Mutt. All these Mutts are our treasures and I think that there cannot be any lingering dispute, which cannot be sorted out across the table provided there is earnest  will to do so.

Regards,

Sunil KBhattacharjya.