[Advaita-l] the qualification to be an advaita guru

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 07:56:52 CDT 2011

On 9 August 2011 17:18, Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I know, which is not really far, both Sankara and Madhusudana say
> that a jnani is omniscient. I dont know if there is room for three types of
> guru but if there is can someone show references from the works of Sankara
> or His immediate disciples?

No offence meant whatsoever, but it seems you have a misunderstanding
regarding the meaning of the term sarvaj~na. It is surprising that you talk
about sAkShI being a prerequisite to visheSha aj~nAna without understanding
this.

Please note that sarvaj~natvam of a mukta does not mean specific knowledge
of all things in vyavahAra. It means an identification with brahman and
concomitant mithyAtva nishchaya regarding vyavahAra.

I will address this in more detail in a separate thread.