[Advaita-l] (Advaita) Bhakti vs. Jnana

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 22:13:06 CDT 2011

Pranams Sri Ramesh
I do not necessarily disagree with you, but want to raise a couple of points just to ponder over....

Instead of asking whence is bhakti directed towards - atma or anatma, why dont we turn the question around and ask whence is its souce? is bhakti's locus in the atma or the anatma - aka Ego. In other words is it the Ahamkara where the tender sapling of ananya Vasudeva bhakti first germinates? Is fondness for a ishtadevata in the form of ananya bhakti a differential construct from say a fondness for ras malai? Is the fulfilment souught by a exalted bhakta like Prahlada an attempt to seek .."fulfilment from anatma"? No doubt Dikshitar's "brahmani manasa sanchara re" sets sights on the lofty peaks of Atman, but does Tyagaraja's yearn "Ela Ni Dayaradhu" directed towards the Anatman?

Hari OM
Shri Gurubhyoh namah
Shyam