[Advaita-l] Gayatri Mantra.

Subramanya Uchangi Hiriyannaiah subramanyauh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 11:21:32 CDT 2011

Dear srikanta,
The following Mantra is from Ishavasya; Is it not?

dHiranmayena patrena sathyasyapihitam mukham!
Tattvam Pushan apavrunu Sathyadharmaya drstaye"!!

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Srikanta Narayanaswami <
srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> ///
>
> That is why,Gayatri mantra says 'Diyoyonah Prachodayath".It is
> "diyoyoni"which is in every one's heart.as the Mundaka sruthi
> states'Nihitam Guhayam".Ramana also says "Hrdaya kuhara madhye".That is why
> skandan or Subramanya is given the name,"Guhan".Vishnushasranama
> chants,"gahano guhah".The B>g has a chapter,:"ajayoga Raja Guhya yoga".
>
> //
>
> What is "diyoyoni" ?
>
> regs,
> Sriram

> The word "Dhiyoyonah"is formed by two words,"Dhi+Yonah.The word "dhi"means
> "Light"or "tejas' or chaitanya
> emanating due to Knowledge or Jnana.That is "advaita jnana".The Gayatri
> mantra is a prayer to the Sun God.Here,the Sun God who is the source of
> light or Jnana is worshipped by the seeker.We say"asavadityo
> Brahma,brahmaiva ahamasmi"
> The Sun God is a symbol of jnana.In Advaita the microcosm is the
> macrocosm.But,we cannot see the "Atman"within us,due to our ignorance.This
> "dhiyoyoni"which in our heart is different from the biological yoni.This
> "dhi'which is in our heart has to be kindled or illuminated by the "all
> pervading'chaitanya or tejas every where.The mantra states:
> "Tat savitruvarenyam Bhargo devasya dhimahi Dhiyoyonah Prachodayath"
> Translating literally,this means "That rays of the (divine Sun
> God-Bharga)which is effulgent and superior(varenyam)which is light(that
> dispels darkness of ignorance)kindle or illuminate my heart(which is
> receiver of knowledge-jnana)."
>
> The same prayer is reflected in the "Mundakopanishath"sruthi":
> "Hiranmayena patrena sathyasyapihitam mukham!
> Tattvam Pushan apavrunu Sathyadharmaya drstaye"!!
>
> "The face of Truth is covered by the Golden orb
> He Pushan!(one of the names of Sun God,which gives light or dispels
> darkness)
> remove the cover so that the "Tattva"is revealed to me who yearns to see
> the Truth".
> This is a very important mantra in the "Ishavasyopanishath"and is to be
> studied with Shankara's commentary
> to clearly understand the purport.
> This is one of clues to point out that"Maya'covers the "Truth".
> n.Srikanta.

Warm regards

*U H Subramanya
**सुब्रह्मण्यः यु हेच्
ಸುಬ್ರಹ್ಮಣ್ಯ ಯು ಹೆಚ್*

*080-23284740, 9341323940, 9986031949
#39, 11th Cross, I Main, Prashanthanagar, Bengaluru 560079.*
*
*
*Visit http://www.satchidanandendra.org for e-Study of Brahma Sutra Shankara
Bhashya.*