[Advaita-l] Litmus tests for self-realization

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:14:55 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM, kuntimaddi sadananda <
kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The FIR reduction involves my abidance in the knowledge that I am happy
> without any external dependence. ManusmRiti says -
> sarvam paravasham duHkam - sarvam aatmavasham sukham - thus any dependence
> on other than myself contributes FIR increase. The question of neurological
> problem will come for those who do not have chitta suddhi when FIR reduction
> takes place - as in deep sleep state.

I did not say neurological problem but re-wiring. Some studies in the
military have shown that human beings are capable of dealing with extreme
conditions without being least perturbed.You might have seen buddha boy
documentary on discovery channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v29clGMWU84 He
goes without food or water for months, recorded live for days.

While I agree that equanimity (FIR Reduction) is a sign of being dependent
on the Self as opposed to external objects, I am asking why it cant be just
neurological rewiring.