[Advaita-l] Ritambara Prajna

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 05:51:04 CDT 2011

Even the vedic knowledge was revealed in the antaHkaraNam of the
mantra-dRStAraH at some point in history.  The fact that knowledge is
revealed for the first time in history (of this kalpa) in a Rishi's mind
does not make it paurusheya jnAnam.

Even scientific insights and breakthroughs are about Ishwara's srishti
and are therefore apaurusheya. There is some truth in this argument. (we
talk of the invention of the phone - a paurusheya effort but the discovery
of electr-magnetism, an apaurusheya phenomenon which was not created by Man
exercising his will but by Ishwara-niyati)

But the difference is that these scientific insights are improvable and in
that sense provisional. For example, Newton's law of gravity has been proved
to be imperfect and merely an inaccurate approximation (special case) of the
more generalized Einstein's general theory of relativity. One might argue
that Vedic truths dealing as they do with the adhidaivik order of sriShti
(not perceptible to the mind and senses) are not provisional or improvable
like it is with science. Still it is noteworthy that the older scientific
theories are never totally contradicted (or set aside) by the newer ones ;
they become special cases of the newer ones. So the argument that scientific
insight (discoveries) like gravity etc., are not paurusheya cannot be
entirely set aside. Einstein would talk of  scientific insights  as "reading
the mind of God" Swami Vivekananda used to say "all (insightful) knowledge
is born of samadhi".I guess he would endorse what you said of the virtually
indispensable role played by Yoga sadhana in acquiring knowledge..

Another interesting thing you said (implied), Sriramji is that you cannot
carry forward the shAstra-adhyayana done in this birth to the next. But you
can indeed do so w.r.t. the yoga-sadhana and its results, - you can carry
them forward to the next birth. I understand why you are saying this. But
supposing, shAstra-adhyayana is understood as "well-assimilated and
understood shAstra" and not the phD oriented shAstra study, then there would
be no difference between the two.

The KaThopanishad too does say, for the record,  "yonim anye prapadyante
sharIratvAya dehinaH, sthAnumanye anusaMyanti yathA karma yathA shrutam"  (
a jIva takes the next womb in accordance with his karma and what he has
"heard", i.e., his inner convictions (vijnAnam-upArjitam) born of study of
shruti. )
The phrase "yathA shrutam" assurance of the Shruti MAtA should take care of
the fact that shAstra adhyayana too (atleast the well-assimilated part of it
!!) is indeed carried forward to the next birth.

raghav