[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 03:25:05 CST 2011

Namaste

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> praNAms Sri Venkatesh prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> But if Sruti starts to say something on Dharma, Achara and Vyavahara we
> have a lot of Dharma Sastra sources
> coming to our rescue. Because Dharma keeps changing. Sruti says something
> but thing may not be Dharma today.
>
>>  Whatever may be the issue here, imho, this is one of the basic
> misunderstandings of vedic saMpradAya.  For dharma jignAsa also shAstra in
> the only pramANa.  In the very first sUtra of brahma sUtra shankara
> clarifies how the dharma & brahma jignAsa different from each other.
> Interestingly during his explanation, shankara gives the example of pashu
> vadha krama in yagna where it has been explained how first heart and then
> tongue to be cut in a particular ritual.  So, IMO, there is not second
> opinion among traditionalists with regard to authority of shruti/veda in
> both dharma & brahma jignAsa. And there is no desha, kAla restrictions as
> such for the declarations of veda/shAstra.  Shankara himself clarifies
> this in his commentary somewhere, ayam dharmOyamadharmamiti shAstrameva
> vijnAne kAraNam, ateendriyatvAt tayOH, aniyata desha kAla
> nimitatvAccha..(reference in third adhyAya somewhere).  So, it is an
> erroneous thinking if we say shAstra can be substituted & modified by
> paurusheya grantha & AcharaNa.
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar
Kindly write something about Bruhadaranyaka 6-4-7 asking a man to
strike his wife with a stick. Do you feel we can take direct meaning
of Sruti and do it? Is it proper conduct today? If it is not proper
conduct what is the hidden meaning of the Sruti Vakya? Do you not feel
today we have to take a modified meaning of the Vakya like scolding
his wife instead of striking her? In earlier days the teachers  used
to beat kids in school. Nowadays they are only scolding but not
beating. If they hit kids parents will quarrel with the teachers.

-Venkatesh