[Advaita-l] Fwd: vedic yajna

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 07:11:51 CST 2011

Namaste

2011/12/5 D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ <dvnsarma at gmail.com>:
>>Perhaps you think why defend the meat eating  or  using meat in yagas when
> there is  evidence.
>>This is because Vedic words and sentences do give different meanings if
> the root is searched and the context  is also right.So those who are >pure
> vegetarians amongst us think that vedas might not be advocating meat eating
> etc and do research to find out the exact saying.I think this >is not wrong
> and by no means be labelled psuedointellectualism.R.**Krishnamoorthy.
>
> Neither I defend nor condemn any thing. For me all this discussion arises
> from
> a set of people trying to show that certain practices were not there in the
> veda
> because they think these practices produce a bad image of  hinduism and
> another
> set of people trying to show that they were there( I belong to this set).

I am trying to show the ancient practices and today's practices may
not be same . Already I gave one example from Mahabharata. We have
some Smruti Vakyas prohibit Beef eating. We have to know as common
sense the Smrutis will consider the Vedas and then only give the
verdict of Beef prohibition in this age. Do you think the Smruti
author was so ignorant of Vedas and meat eating he did not bother to
consult it?  What is the point in stubbornly following ancient
practices when we know they are corrected for today's people.

> I  would like to point out that unless there is some absurdity, welknown
> meanings of passages
> should be taken and not some far fetched meanings to suit our whims and
> fancies.
> This is the convention propounded by Sabara Swamin the first commentator of
> the
> Purvamimamsa sutras.
The direct meanings if they are according to Smrutis rules and
regulations are correct. Otherwise we have to take the indirect
meanings only to avoid absurd results.

> Simply we cannot do away with the things we do not like from the vedas.
I agree but we have to know what the Vedas are saying exactly.

> --
> regards,
> Sarma.

-Venkatesh