[Advaita-l] Fwd: vedic yajna

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 20:45:00 CST 2011

Namaste

Some kinds of animals were used in sacrifices in earlier Yugas but not
cows. In earlier Yugas they did so many things we cannot do now .
This is not the important point. What should we do now? But now the
animal sacrifices are prohibited by Smruti like Parashara Smruti. In
Sraddha meat is prohibited now. What do they do? They substitute by
Urad Dal dish because Urad Dal is equal to meat but still vegetarian.
Similarly when a sacrifice requires some animal we have to substitute
by some vegetarian product. We have to follow our Yuga Dharma.  We
should not refer to some ancient practice and follow it without
consulting Smrutis.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Rajaram Venkataramani
<rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> I agree but we have to know what the Vedas are saying exactly.
>>

>> RV: Dear Venkatesh, I appreciate your concern for animal rights. Is your
>> position that the Vedas support animal sacrifice including cow but prohibit
>> them in kali yuga? Or that Vedas do not prescibe animal sacrifice at all?

-Venkatesh