[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 11:50:03 CST 2011

Dear Bhaskarji,

In a way you are right. There is a belief that if meat is offered to one he or she need not refuse it as the dead animal may feel bad that one hates its meat. So the best course is to eat the meat and pray for the good of the soul of the animal, which had sacrificed its life. Lord Buddha allowed the monks to eat meat when offered but the the monk should not eat the meat if the animal is sacrificed for him nor he should see the animal being killed nor he should hear its death-cry. However  Manu says that meat has to be of the permissible type. There is also the  understanding that one should not eat the meat of the carnivorous animal as that animal may want to eat one's meat in the next birth.

The views of Manu as given in Manusmriti (5 / 35) : When a man who is properly engaged in a ritual
does not eat meat, after his death he will become a sacrificial animal during twenty-one rebirths, may be a corollary of this.

Regards,

Sunil KB