[Advaita-l] pasupatha - mayavadam

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 00:24:05 CST 2011

Based on discussions with Shri Subrahmanian, it is clear that the Padma
Purana verses (mayavadam asat sastram) do not refer to Advaitam of Shankara
because the description of the puranic verses do not perfectly fit advaita
tradition. I was wondering, assuming that the said verses were not an
interpolation, referred to pasupatha madham. AFAIK, they are an ascetic
tradition and believe in the oneness of jiva and siva. It is possible that
Sri Jiva Gosvami mis-interpreted it to refer to Shankara tradition leading
to crystallization of the views later in the works of Krishnadas Kaviraj.
Caitanya Mahaprabhu himself was a eka dandi sannyasi who was initiated by a
shankaracharya and had shaved his head (rf. Chaitanya Bhagavatham).

My questions:

1. I wanted to know if those who are well verses in pasupatha madham think
that the padma purana verses refer to it.
2. Does Shankara's critique of pasupatha align with the padma purana
verses?