[Advaita-l] Thank you and Bye

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jan 5 22:26:15 CST 2011

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Rajaram Venkataramani wrote:

> I came to this forum to have my doubts clarified and am indeed thankful to
> the members on this forum for taking the time to respond to my queries.
> However, in my view, knowledge means to come to firm conclusion consistent
> with tradition. Lord Krishna says, "I am vada", which leads to a firm
> conclusion.

Certainly.  But why do you think there is always neccessarily one
conclusion?

It has been my observation that we have two kinds of distortion of Dharma
today.  One is to think that "anything goes" if you wrap it up in enough
mystical mumbo-jumbo.  The other is to deny the genuine amount of
pluralism that exists within the Vedic tradition.  Both are equally bad.

> I find that this forum has diverse views inconsistent with
> tradition even on basic dharma and srauta topics such as ahimsa and animal
> sacrifice.

Why only this forum?  As the quotations from Jayadeva or Vishwanath Tarka
Panchanana or Manu (I'm going to post my translation of His other shlokas
on this subject tomorrow) show, there were a diversity of views
even in ancient times.

> On Vedanta, I have been labouring for weeks to understand the view of
> traditional scholars on Isvara. There is one view that He is paramartika
> and there is another that He is vyavaharika. There are multiple views on
> form of Isvara. Also, there is lack of clarity on Saguna Brahman and
> Savisesha Brahman.

Again if multiple views were given it is because there have indeed
traditionally been multiple views.  (Though I think there is more
commonality than you give credit too.)  It is upto you, the individual
sadhaka, to judge between the different views.  No one can dictate an
answer to you.

> Given the extent of the subject, I dont think that an
> unmoderated internet forum is a way for me to learn. To be quite frank, I
> would have liked to see methodical approach to each topic. For example, what
> does sruti and smrti say about Isvara? What is the interpretation by
> acharyas? How is this interpretation justified based on nirukta, nyaya,
> vyakharana etc.?  But given everyone's knowledge level and pre-occcupations,
> I dont think it is fair to expect that in a forum. Hence, I have decided to
> leave the forum but wanted to leave the feedback in case the moderators may
> consider giving it more structure in future.

I think you are right about the limitations of Internet forums and that's
why I have always said that advaita-l is an adjunct to serious sadhana it
is not a replacement for it.  One of the ways it can help is in providing
those methodical interpretations and I believe it was done in the subject
at the hand.  But you appear to be looking for a definitive conclusion and
that is not necessarily going to happen even after several months not due
to obfuscation and obstruction but simply due to the difficulty of the
problem.

> I think it is a great fortune
> to have sat sangha and by leaving the forum, I am just saving time. The
> devotees on this forum have a place in my heart and my namaskarams. My
> prayers and best wishes for the success in propagation of Veda Dharma.

In the end you have to do what is right for you so I'll not argue any
further.  Good luck.