[Advaita-l] Three bramhacharis in one home

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jul 1 01:35:59 CDT 2011

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011, N R, Chakradhar (Chakradhar) wrote:

> Is there any restrictions in any Dharma Shastra's (Smritis) or Sutras
> about NOT doing UPANAYANAM for the third male child if the elder brother
> is not married because there will be three brahmacharis in a single
> home? The reason I could gather was that marriages to some of those male
> children will not happen. The reason is not very convincing.

I personally was not aware of such a custom though it may very well be the
case in your tradition.

> What is the alternative suggested in such cases?

Often times when there is some dosha because of reasons like this it is
treated as if it were some kind of supreme court judgement but people
forget that in many cases shastras also provide remedies and workarounds.
You should consult with your purohit if there is some shanti or
prayaschitta that can be performed rather than not doing it at all.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Ramana Mallela wrote:

> Brahmacharya is a practice for individual. It is the duty of parents
> to initiate one into brahmacharya as soon as possible.
> 8 may be a good age (before they have to join foundation IIT courses
> and other tuition!).
>
> It will also help if parents, with the help of their spiritual guru,
> get the boy understand the objectives of the brahmacharya from the
> kind guru -- what is praanayaama, meaning of Gaayatri mantra, right
> method of meditation, overall goal of attaining brahmajnana... we know
> It takes several years of disciplined practice to get to the meaning /
> experience.

I agree with this 100%  Upanayana and brahmacharya is of paramount
importance in a Brahmanas life and all efforts should be made to see they
are followed in a timely and faithful manner,