[Advaita-l] 'VinAyaka' in ShAnkara GItA BhAShyam

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 00:11:21 CDT 2011

namaste,

>"BhUtAni vinAyakamAtRugaNacaturBaginyAdIni yAnti
>BhUtejyAH", ityatra vinAyakapadaM BhUtaM sUcayati, na tu vinAyakaM devaM
>gaNapatim|

Have been seeing over the past many years. Every time it is shown that this is
somehow untenable citing various reasons, showing various evidence, the usual
answer is to quote this again and again. Amazing!

What these kind of people forget is that repeated assertion is not their
property and does not make something right. Does it ever occur to them that the
other party can do that too?

So yes here it is. Above quote does not address any of the issues of non-clarity
and hence not of any use.

Now some clarification in light of a private mail: 1) No one is saying shankara
is against worship of pratima-s etc. 2) The objective is not to prove gaNesha is
a tAmasika devata. We do not hold this deplorable view as in our tradition
gaNesha upAsana is of great importance.

It is only being pointed out that, seems to shankara think otherwise and that
his view is outdated(not the word again)

But seriously, did you think the other party never heard of the gaNesha
atharvashIrSha or the gaNeshA & mudgala purANa...

If one is so intent on not looking outside their well, let it be so.

Thanks