[Advaita-l] Difference between Dhyanam and Nishtai

Br. Pranipata Chaitanya pranipata at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 01:17:56 CDT 2011

Hari Om! Pranaams!

Repeated mental deliberation of the same object to the exclusion of other thoughts is said to be 'dhyAna' and that deliberation with certainity that i want to reach/have this (object of deliberation) alone and won't settle for anything else is said to be 'niShTha'.

We can meditate on something for getting someotherthing as result. Steadfastness is to have the same thing.

By extension a 'naishTikaH' will be ekAkI, yata-citta-Atma, sarva-saMkalpa-sannyAsI, aparigrahaH, brahmacArivrate-sthitaH and dhyAna-yoga-paraH.

In Shri Guru Smriti,
Br. Pranipata Chaitanya