[Advaita-l] Modern science and Vedanta (meaning of the word 'vinAyaka)

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 05:45:29 CDT 2011

>There is a prayoga in this tantra that is deployed to counter the attack of
>vinAyaka, sapta mAtrikAs and >chatur bhaginis.

By the way, the chaturbhagini-s i.e jayA, vijayA, ajitA & aparAjitA the four
sisters of shiva as tumburu rudra, represent the shAnti, vidyA, nivR^itti and
pratiShThA kalA-s of shiva while the fifth the highest i.e. shAntyAtIta kalA is
represented by shiva himself as tumburu shiva/rudra. So the chaturbhagini-s are
not malevolent spirits but some "higher energies" of shiva. Alternately, they
are also the names of the sakhI-s of pArvatI or even the names of pArvatI
herself. See the devI/chaNDI kavacha where the upAsaka invokes these four
devata-s to protect in the four directions.

In the devI purANa, jaya and vijaya destroy the two demons which try to attack
durgA when she is situated on the vindhya parvata as vindhyavAsinI/kaushikI.

To boost the earlier statement of the tantra-s of vAmasrotas with the
possibility of including and excluding vAmAchAra practices, I may mention the
nayottara, another tantra of the vAmasrotas, which they say is devoid of
vAmAchAra...though i cannot vouch for it at the moment.