[Advaita-l] 'VinAyaka' in ShAnkara GItA BhAShyam

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Jul 5 03:49:21 CDT 2011

>The same deity can be worshipped in sAttvika, rAjasika, and tAmasika
>modes. What is to be avoided are the rAjasika and tAmasika modes of
worship.

Yes. I did not say anything different on this one.

praNAms Sri Satish prabhuji
Hare Krishna

OK, shall we reconcile this problem  with a grand imagination from my
side:-)) At the time of shankara's geeta bhAshya, people were worshipping
vinAyaka (like veera gaNapati, ucchishta gaNapati etc.) & saptamAtruka-s
in ugra rUpa &  in a tAmasik way, though these deities have soumya rUpa
then.  Hence he particularly mentioned these names in his bhAshya...But
over a period of time people started worshipping these deities in a soumya
rUpa and in a more sAtvik way & stopped ( or decreased) the pUja in a
tAmasik way,  Accordingly, these deities have become more popular in their
soumya rUpa & receiving pUja nowadays in a more sAtvik way.  But this
assumption would straight away puts all works on gaNesha, bhavAni, durga
(including most popular work soudaryalahari) in a doubt whether these
works are from the pen of bhAshyakAra.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar