[Advaita-l] 'VinAyaka' in ShAnkara GItA BhAShyam

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 05:47:09 CDT 2011

You are right but not quite so - if we just go by your wordings. All can be
seen as forms of Brahman including the rivers, trees, mountains etc. But
there are prakrta and aprakrta forms. Prakrta forms are created using
material elements and hence have sattva, rajas and tamas. They are effects
of maya and limited by space and time. But aprakrta forms are not made of
pancha bhutas (incl. space). They are mayika (visuddha satttva) and hence
transcendental to time and space! They neither conceal (tamas) not
erroneously project (rajas) but reveal (sattva) the bliss of brahman. So,
one should worship the forms that are sattvika.

Regarding hierarchy, it is assumed for the purpose of upasana.