[Advaita-l] 'nyAya' and 'tarka'

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 09:51:22 CDT 2011

I talked to the grammarian.  It is total victory to Sri Subrahmanian's
position and I stand corrected. The said grammarian did not have the time to
analyze all the quotes. He said it has to be set in context and did not have
the time or health. But his point was,"Vatsyana in his commentary to
Gautama's Nyaya Sutras refers to nyaya sutras as tarka sutras and vada vidya
as well. And one should respect the position of the acharyas in the
respective school. Taking the first one alone, he said that Sankara, known
for his expert use of grammar, would not use tarka yukititah as equivalent
to nyaya purvakam if he felt that the meaning is altered or the strength is
reduced. He would have paraphrased differently. As a traditional grammarian,
he bows to Sankara, who as Lord Siva revealed mahadeva vakyas to Panini,
which inspired him to come up with his vyakharana sutras.The translations
can be analyzed or corrected but there is no room to challenge equivalence
of nyaya purvakam and tarka yuktitah because Sankara has used it that way.
If Sankara interchangeably uses words with different roots, that is how they
should be used."

To be nice to me he did say,"If you had told me your position, I would have
helped with etymological analysis and helped you continue the argument". I
asked, "continue tarka or nyaya?". We just laughed. Jokes apart, I agree
with Sri Subrahmanian's stated position on tarka and nyaya.