[Advaita-l] Bhakti/Bhakta connoting Jnani/Jnanam in Shankara's GitA BhAShyam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 05:31:29 CDT 2011

Namaste.

I just sent a post containing several quotations from Shankaracharya's
Gitabhashya with the following message:

//श्रीगुरुभ्यो नमः

In the sequel a number of instances from the Bhagavadgita bhashya of
Shankaracharya are given.  I have copied the verses and the bhashyam from
the Gitasupersite which also has a word-search facility.  I used the words
'bhakti/bhakta, madbhakta/bhaktyA, etc.' I have chosen only those verses
where Shankara has equated the words bhakta/bhakti with / as non-different
from jnanam/jnani.  One could keep Swami Gambhiranandaji's translation at
hand while reading these, in case of need. The list may not be exhaustive
but fairly covering the GitAprasthAna. The ultimate message is: For Shankara
a Bhakta is a Jnani and Bhakti is non-different from jnAnam.

Readers could add other instances observed by them to this thread.   //

However, perhaps due to undue length the message did not get delivered and
is awaiting 'Moderator's approval'.  I am making this announcement here with
a request to the Moderator to kindly pass this post to the members.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v