[Advaita-l] shankara as suhastaH

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Tue Jul 19 01:42:40 CDT 2011

Namaste Anselmo,

Inspite of my several posts on “suhastaH”, it seems all the
Mails are getting spammed.  Hence, a new thread on
“suhastaH”.

I forgot to reply regarding the Atmananda's interpretation
of the word "suhasta".  You have rightly pointed out that Atmananda
interprets this as "sankaracharya".

Let us see the mantra in original first:

upahavyE sudhugAm dhEnuM etAM
suhastO godhug uta dohad enAM
shrEShTaM savaM savitA sAvisan no
bhiddho gharmas tad u su pra vocham .......26

The explanation runs as:

I call hither the cow easy to milk. And the one who
can milk a cow with "dextrous hand" has milked her.
May the Sun inspire us with the noblest inspiration.
The oven is kindled.  This verily i speak out.

There is another interpretation:

I invoke this milch cow which gives plenty of milk that the milk-man
with "deft hands" may milk her.  May Savitr grant us this
excellent milk (for our soma yaga).  The pravargya (sacrifice)
is lighted.  Therefore i earnestly pray.

Here, "suhasta" is taken as dextrous hands of the milk man who
is milking the cow (kAmadhEnu).

Shri Atmananda interprets the Cow (dhEnu) to be Veda (shruti) and
compares the Milk Man with Sankara because it is Sankara
who gave prasthAna traya bhAshyAs (the Milk) which is the
essence of vedas.  So, if the vedas are cows, then the
prasthanatrayas bhashyas are the milk and the Sankaracharya
is the milk man who has "dextrous hands".
While interpreting this, Atmananda deciphers a code
in this mantra which is quite interesting to note.

suhastaH> sukhahastaH > sukhakaraH > sankaraH

hastaH denote the arms that indicate action. su implies sukhaM (bliss etc.).
So, su replaced with sukha. hastaH replaced with karaH (arms).
"su" also means "saM" and karaH when joined with "saMkaraH".
Who is none other than Sankara Bhagavatpada.

regs,
sriram