[Advaita-l] About a sanskrit usage

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 04:04:08 CDT 2011

Sir

The chandas of the Sloka is anushThup, which has many versions with minor deviations also being common. Technically it must have eight letters in evey paada. If you replace viSeshatah with viSeshah, you will have only 7 letters in the second foot. So it is a fault.

You are right in that taa is better than tah; but then tasil pratyaya (which when added to viSesha gives viSeshatah) gives ries to a wide variety of meanings; if you want you can still the required meaning into it. Then, there is one more issue: chintaa should be written, as per SishTaachaara, with the dental anunaasikaa 'na' and not the anusvaara or bindu, 'm'.

Regards
N. Siva Senani